Building with Books: Building my dream house of books one book (or more) at a time~
I’m not rich at all, and books are really expensive. But there are times I allow myself to splurge on books. And it just so happens that I got paid, which is or isn’t good – good for my bookshelf but not for my wallet. Anyway, I was just itching to go the bookstore so there I went. And it just so happens that the second time I went, everything was 20% off. Who can resist that? I also visited a secondhand bookstore~ I got a couple of ARCs and won a couple of stuff too. I got 41 books (14 bought) in total.
I wanted to make a video, but I think I’ll suck at it so I’ll just go with this really long post~ Book titles link to Goodreads~
For Paperbacks/Hardcovers: Secondhand buy:
- If I stay by Gayle Forman – I have never read a Gayle Forman book and finding a cheap copy is a good way to check her out, I think. And the copy looks almost brand new so it was a definite steal~ I got this from someone who goes to my university.
- White Cat by Holly Black – (For only $3.25 from $8.99!) This one I found at this local secondhand store near the office. I don’t know if anyone remembers my post before, but I finally visited. I’m always reluctant to visit those secondhand stores because everything is so unorganized and I mostly only find really old books that don’t interest me – adult romance, religion, business, etc. So imagine my internal squealing when I found this there. I’ve been eyeing this book for a long time. I love Holly Black because of The Spiderwick Chronicles. I finally got the first book of the series so yay~ I’m definitely going back there! I wish I had more money on me.
- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr – (For only $2.5 from $8.99!) I got this one from the same local bookstore as White Cat. This copy isn’t as nice. The pages have started to turn a darker shade and there are creases all over the place, but it was cheap so I bought it. I’m excited about this one because I happen to like fairies. Although I’ve got a lot of catching up to do. I think there are 5 books in the series.
All bought brand new from Fully Booked, our local bookstore, with a 10% discount because I own a discount card:
- Golden by Jessi Kirby – I’ve been seeing a lot of this on the blogosphere and the hardcover wasn’t so expensive so I just had to buy it.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – The cover is gorgeous, and I’ve been seeing so much love for this.
- Insignia by S.J. Kincaid – I found out about this book through Michelle from In Libris Veritas. She did a wonderful review, and she just really made me want it!
- Crash by Lisa McMann – This one drew me in because of the pretty cover. I love the fire in her eyes~
All bought brand new, also from Fully Booked, but with a 20% discount because they were having a branch sale:
- The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell – This was another cheap book. I know it’s supposed to be connected to Sex and the City or something. I never saw Sex and the City because my parents were very strict and conservative when it came out so I don’t really know what it’s about. I never really bothered. I picked up this book because Carrie is a fashion intern, and I’m very much interested in reading about that.
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer – Here’s another famous book in the book blogosphere. I’m very much interested to read this because it’s a fairy tale retelling and those are always fun. And I think Cinder is an android or something so it makes it even cooler.
- A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris – I am so excited for this book! I LOVED My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, and I definitely want more. When I first found out it was about Alessandra, I kind of shied away from it, but Rachel Harris herself told me that Cat will also be a main character so I was pretty much sold~
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – This one I’m really scared for because there’s some kind of murder or something, but people say it’s really good so I tried it out. It was cheap anyway.
- Firelight by Sophie Jordan – I’ve been wanting to start this series for a LONG time, I just never got to it. And now I finally have the first book so I can start it already. It’s about dragons, and I think that’s pretty cool.
- Legend by Marie Lu – I’m not really sure what this is about, but I’ve been seeing a lot of praise for it so I’m trying it out~
- For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund – I love the cover for this book, and I’ve been meaning to read a Diana Peterfreund book. I don’t know if this is a good place to start, but it just looks so wonderful. And I heard that it’s based on a Jane Austen novel so that should be interesting.
For Ebooks: *For a couple of these, I received them days ago, but I was only able to load them up into my Kindle App recently. From the author for review:
- Two Roads by L.M. Augustine – I already finished reading this and LOVED it. It will be released on August 26, which is when my review will be posted. I recommend that people try it!
- Lightpoints by Peter Kassan – I was contacted by the author to read and review this book. I’ve never heard of it before that, and I think it’s a paranormal book so it should be interesting. I’ll have a review up once I read it.
Won from the Free eReadathon (I won a lot~):
- Blood Skies Omnibus: Blood Skies [#1], Black Scars [#2], Crucifix Point [#2.5?], Soulrazor [#3] by Steven Montano – I was supposed to receive books 2-5 only, but Steven Montano was so wonderful that he included book one and the extra short story! I don’t really know what it’s about, but I’ll try to read them in September or October.
- Crown of Ash [Blood Skies #4] by Steven Montano
- The Witch’s Eye [Blood Skies #5] by Steven Montano
- Legacy by Melissa R. Smith [Sanguine Series #2] – I don’t own the first book yet so I’m not sure when I will be able to read this. I hope sometime this year~
- Touch of Silver by Melissa R. Smith [Sanguine Series #3] – The guy on the cover for this book looks so creepy~
- 2 swagpacks and 1 book which I suppose I will receive next month because I live all the way across the world. I’ll post about those once I receive them~ But I chose to get Winter Queen by Amber Argyle from TBD.
- I’m supposed to get 2 more ebooks, but I haven’t received them yet so I’m not sure about them.
Won from Jess @ Such a Novel Idea:
- Waiting for the Storm By Marie Landry – I’m not really sure what this is about, but I think it’s New Adult so I’ll get to this sometime in November probably.
For Blog Tours:
- Illuminati: The Book of Life by Elizabeth Alsobrooks – I’m not really sure what this is about. I think it’s some fantasy action-packed book. My review will be up by September 19 for the tour with Tasty Book Tours.
- Sisters in Love by Melissa Foster – So I signed up for Tasty Book Tours, and I wanted to start helping out and this was my first pick. I think it’s a contemporary romance book so I should be able to enjoy it. My review will be up by September 30 for the tour.
- American Girl on Saturn by Nikki Godwin – This one looks really really good and I’m pretty excited about it. My review will be up by October 4 for a tour hosted by Oops I Read A Book Again.
- Not Pretty Enough by Jaimie Admans – I heard this was funny, but I’m not sure. It’s a contemporary romance though so I think I will enjoy it. My review will be up by September 23 for a tour hosted by Oops I Read A Book Again.
- Wavecrossed by Andrea Colt – I already read this, and it was pretty great. My review will be up by September 6 for a tour hosted by Oops I Read A Book Again.
From Netgalley (they’re all so dark~):
- Backward Glass by David Lomax – I already read this and LOVED it. Check out my review to learn more about it~
- Hero Worship by Christopher E. Long – I don’t remember what this is about, but it looked cool so I requested it~
- Fields of Elysium by A.B. Whelan – This one had such a pretty cover, and I just read about Elysium in one of the books I read recently so I wanted to know what this one would be like.
Free Downloads for Kindle: *Just because they’re pretty and free~ (images link to Amazon)
- Broken Symmetry by Dan Rix
- Madly by M. Leighton
- Fledgling by Natasha Brown
- Trebor’s Time Machine by Robert Clack
- Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer
- Where Bluebirds Fly by Brynn Chapman
- Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina
- Saving Wishes by G.J. Walker-Smith – I already have an ARC of this book and I loved reading it. I saw that the Kindle edition was free so I grabbed it.
So there~ 41 books in just one week. Is that healthy? I’ve got a LOT to read~ I won’t touch the physical books until September though because I really want to finish up all my ARCs for ARC August~ I am an insatiable book hoarder. P.S. Sorry I didn’t link up. There are so many of them!