Building with Books: Building my dream house of books one book (or more) at a time
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE~ BUUUUUY BUUUUUUUY BUUUUUUUUY!!!! That was me all November. OTL I don’t really know why, but the world has conspired against me. Amazon had a LOT of ebooks sale for Halloween, Black Friday, or whatever reason they had. TBD also had book offers and the 50 Book Sale. And then two of the biggest local bookstores in our country, Fully Booked and National Bookstore, decided to sell their books for CHEAP prices too. And I also found an indie book seller online. Early warning, this post is going to be REALLY long because I bought too many books. To be exact, I bought 55 books(15 of which are ebooks and some are for gifts), won 3 books, received 7 eARCS, and dowloaded 17 Kindle freebies. 82 books in ONE MONTH. Wow. What am I doing with my life. To those concerned, please stop me from getting too many books. Sincerely yours, Francine the impulsive book hoarder.
Anyway, I shall start rambling about all the books I got so you can choose whether to go on or just skip it all~ I excluded Goodreads/Amazon links too because that would take too much time and effort. Sorry~
***PAPERBACKS AND HARDBACKS***
I went on a random trip to Fully Booked one day. It’s at walking distance from home, and makes me feel at home. This felt like a very girly day though. The cover of the two are too bright.
- Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell
- Naomi & Ely’s No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
- Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Oh, and I also went to another Fully Booked branch when I met up with my best friend one weekend. I wanted to buy a couple of books, and I was holding them all already. And then I remembered that I forgot to bring my Fully Booked Discount Card. I felt so stupid for leaving my wallet which had a lot of the stuff that I needed that day. So I ended up buying this super expensive Illustration book that I wanted and sort of needed. Plus this other one. I really wanted to get more but I didn’t want to spend more if I could get them at lower prices.
- In Honor by Jessi Kirby
And just recently, I visited the main branch of Fully Booked, and they were on sale. I wanted to cry so bad because I couldn’t spend because I was saving up. So I only got these:
- Love is Hell by Melissa Marr, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier, Gabrielle Zevin, and Laurie Faria Stolarz
- Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani
- Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
And then there was the Warehouse Sale at National Bookstore. And my oh my did they have a lot of good-looking books, and at $0.65-$3.25 per book, I just couldn’t resist. Although I had a totally stupid moment when I added up the prices wrong and I let go of a couple of good books because I thought I couldn’t afford them when I could.
I seem to have strange urges to buy classic
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
- Aesop’s Fables
I had another very stupid and impulsive moment when I got sequels of books I don’t even know.
- Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater
- Sunset Boulevard by Zoey Dean
And I took a chance on books that look scary.
- Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith
- The Graveminders by Melissa Meyer
Oh, I’m super proud of these ’cause I completed the whole series by going through sales only. 2 brand new copies of any of the books are far more expensive than the whole series I own. And I dug deep into a huge pile for book 2
- Ink Exchange by Melissa Meyer
- Fragile Eternity by Melissa Meyer
And I got a couple of series books I’m interested in and hope to complete soon.
- Specials by Scott Westerfeld
- Extras by Scott Westerfeld
- Hourglass by Claudia Gray
- Stargazer by Claudia Gray
I got more series books that were so cheap. I only need one more to complete it, and hopefully I’ll find a cheap one too.
- The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
- Envy by Anna Godbersen
- Splendor by Anna Godbersen
I also got super cheap hardback books~
- Slide by Jill Hathaway – I’ve been seeing bloggers say that this is good so yeah
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig – impulsive random buy + Katherine Tegen
- Banished by Sophie Littlefield – I have a copy, but this HB is super cheap! I’ll give it away soon.
And then I went shopping at The Book Depository~ I don’t have the pictures for the books simply because they haven’t arrived yet. It takes a long while for them to get to the country. 😦 One did already though, but it was a gift for someone else so I don’t have it.
For the September and October giveaway, of course I got the books from TBD. Cheaper, but still reliable. These are the winners and the books they wanted.
- Legend by Marie Lu – this was for Ner @ A Cup of Coffee and a Book, the winner of the Series September Giveaway (any series book I featured that month)
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – for Nara @ Looking for the Panacea, winner of the One Only October Giveaway (any standalone book)
And these are the books that I bought for myself because they were cheap:
- Bunheads by Sophie Flack – I always dreamt of being a ballerina
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitgerald – me and the classics.
- All These Things I’ve Done by Gabrielle Zevin – fought for this at the 50 book sale. Haha!
I also bought stuff from Amazon. It’s my first time to buy tangible things from there because I normally only shop for Kindle ebooks because shipping and taxes are EXPENSIVE. And I found out that I could send stuff to my Uncle who’s in America and who’s coming back here in January so I’ll get my stuff then~ That feels like a long time, but I think I’m pretty much set on having enough books for a while.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – I bought the Hardback and used the 30% promo on this one. I got it at about 38% of the selling price in our country!
- Angelfall by Susan Ee – I’ve been hearing a lot about this so I wanted to know I bought it. This one cost about half of what I’d need to pay in the stores here.
- World After by Susan Ee
And lastly for the paperbacks and hardcovers part, I ordered books from a local indie online seller, bookaddictph. I was expecting to get them on November 30, but the seller wasn’t able to ship it out for me so I’m expecting to get them this week instead.
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld – one step closer to completing the series. I just need Pretties.
- An Abundance of Katherines by John Green – I already have a copy, but I personally like this cover better so I’ll just give away my other copy.
- Going Bovine by Libba Bray – I’ve heard good things.
- Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen by Dyan Sheldon – super cheap. and memories of childhood or teenage years
- 13 Little Blue Envelopes bu Maureen Johnson – I already own this, but I got this to give to my friend
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson – I’ve heard good things.
These were mostly from sales on Amazon. There were a lot. I got a couple of well-known titles, and I took a chance on some there were sold at $0.99 that I knew nothing about but looked interesting based on the synopsis and reviews.
- Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
- The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
- Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Vivian Siobhan
- Variant by Robison Wells
- Breathless by Tawdra Kandle
- Taste the Heat by Rachel Harris
- Seven Day Fiance by Rachel Harris
- Finding It by Cora Carmack
- My Own Mr. Darcy by Karey White
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Text Me: 8 Novels of First Love by Shana Norris, Amanda Brice, Shel Delisle, Elle Strauss, Juli Alexander, Cindy M. Hogan, Kate Avery Ellison, and Kat Brookes
- Like Ice by Sherry Torgent
- My Wishful Thinking by Shel Delisle
- Let’s Face It by Jodi R. Moore
I love how I won books that I really planned to buy and read in the first place.
- The Moth in the Mirror by A.G. Howard from the Ya Valentines
- Second Heardts by G.J. Walker-Smith from the Two Roads Read-along
- What the Heart Wants by Staci Hart from her flash giveaway
For tours and from Netgalley:
- 8-Bit Christmas by Kevin Jakubowski
- A Grimm Legacy by Janna Jennings
- North Pole Reform School by Jaimie Admans
- Finding Home by Lauren K. McKellar
- Georgetown Academy Season One by Alyssa Embree Schwartz and Jessica Koosed Etting
- The Gleaning by Heidi R. Kling
- Of Triton by Dan Rix
I got these books for free at different times so I’m not sure if they’re all still free
- Dancing Days
- Flirting Games
- Afterlife Academy
- Heavenly Hell
- The Language of Souls
- The Guardians
- Fire Country
- Banished from Grace
- Happy Birthday to Me
- The Last Page
- The Light Life New York
- The Light Life Paris
- A Summer to Remember
- In the Middle of Nowhere
- Diamonds are a Teen’s Best Friend
There. At least a couple of them can easily be stored on my phone. But my books no longer fit in my closet and I’m now eyeing the space under my bed for storing. I’ll need boxes though. I don’t like keeping books on shelves because they get dusty so easily. I’ll have to figure things out, and hopefully I’ll control myself from buying or downloading too much in the future. Wish me luck~
P.S. I’ll update the last two parts with pictures soon. Maybe. So many @_@