It’s Day 6! Wow. Time flies~ I can’t believe we’re almost over.
Just a little reminder: Farzy @ Books Keep Me Sane will be hosting a Twitter Chat on Saturday, at 2am (EST). It will run for 3 hours. That’s on Saturday at 3pm in our country. Here’s a good Time Zone Converter to help you. Look for #DreamyDecDays on Twitter and Farzy’s twitter handle: @musicmae12. I will also be holding another one on the same day, Saturday, at 9pm(EST). My twitter handle: @fslovesbooks. That’s the last activity for the read-a-thon, and I hope to see a lot of you there! We’ll give away prizes then too~ 😀
For today’s author feature, we have another personal favorite author, Kelly Oram. She has published 6 books and there’s more to come! And there’s an awesome GIVEAWAY where she’s giving away 3 of them! Also, hop on to Books Keep Me Sane to read an excerpt from Nikki Godwin, who I also really love, and join the other awesome giveaway there~
Interview with Kelly Oram:
Welcome Kelly! I’m so delighted to have you here today. I’ve read all 6 of your books (Being Jamie Baker, More Than Jamie Baker, Serial Hottie, V is for Virgin, The Avery Shaw Experiment, and Chameleon), and I easily fell in love with your writing and your characters.
- Thank you, Francine, I’m happy to be here with you today. So you’ve read all six of my books, huh? That’s Awesome! Thank you! Do you have a favorite? I’m always curious…
It used to be Being Jamie Baker, then it became V Is for Virgin, but not it’s The Avery Shaw Experiment. Maybe it will be different when you publish more books in the future. 😛
Apart from having such gorgeous red hair, can you tell us something about yourself? (It can be anything at all~)
- I love the outdoors—hiking, fishing, camping, backpacking, boating… This past weekend I went repelling for the first time. So scary, yet so fun!
Quite the daredevil. 😄
I know you love writing and reading, but do you do anything not related to those? What do you like doing?
- Well my kids take up most of my time, but I am also very actively involved with my church. Right now I am in charge of our youth group, so I’m always planning/attending activities with them. When I do get free time, I love going to the theater. Musical theater is my favorite, but any play will do. I’m also a live music junkie and love going to concerts.
I love watching plays too.
You have a set of 10-sided dice that you use for role-playing. Why is no one else allowed to roll them?
- Um, because they are MINE!!! And if someone else tries to roll them they might get their bad luck cooties all over my dice!
What are the other dorky things that you do?
- You mean role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons isn’t geeky enough? LOL! I’m a huge board game geek—the kind of games that take days to learn and hours to play. My husband and I get seriously into it. I also love bowling and am a Firefly fanatic! And let’s not forget that I began my writing career as a Backstreet Boys fanfiction writer! (Yup, I’m as dorky as a person can get!)
I know that you have been writing for the longest time, but can you tell us what inspired you to start?
- I don’t know that any one thing ever inspired me to start. It’s just something I’ve always done. As a kid, I had a very vivid imagination. (That’s only gotten worse with age!) I also had a lot of trouble sleeping so I would stay up at night just writing down the things I imagined… It was a good release for my creativity and still is.
Currently, you have 6 published books. For those who haven’t read any of them, can you give us a short description of what they are about? In the form of a tweet would be good (140 characters or less :P)
- BEING JAMIE BAKER: Jamie learns to control her superpowers before her secret is discovered by bad guys. And Ryan Miller… (Warning: Contains Superkissing!)
MORE THAN JAMIE BAKER: Jamie Baker goes superhero! More powers. More bad guys. More Ryan Miller. And lots more superkissing!)
SERIAL HOTTIE: Ellie thinks the new hottie across the street might be a serial killer with his sights set on her. Too bad she can’t stop kissing him…
V IS FOR VIRGIN: Val is determined to stay virgin until marriage. Sexy rock star Kyle Hamilton is determined to change her mind. Chaos and kissing ensue…
CHAMELEON: Vampires, werewolves, and warlocks, oh my! Dani discovers she’s supernatural and destined to save the world. Also, 2 boys = 2 x the kissing!
THE AVERY SHAW EXPERIMENT: Smart-girl Avery looks for the cure to her broken heart in a science experiment. Golden-boy Grayson has a different plan—lots of kissing!
Are we seeing a pattern here? I like books with kissing!
I like them too! 😄
My personal favorites are your contemporary books, but which one has been the most fun to write for you? Or which one is your favorite?
- Those are two different answers. The books that have been the most fun for me to write have been my Supernaturals series. They were a challenge for me and let me embrace my inner fantasy geek. I had a lot more freedom with those books since I got to build my own world and create my own lore. But my favorite of all my books is probably still Serial Hottie. I’ve definitely re-read it the most. I love it because it’s really different than most books out there in its genre. It shows off my weird, quirky humor more than my other books. I definitely amused myself with that one.
I noticed that a lot of your male leads have blue eyes (Kyle Hamilton was the only exception), which I really love. Do you have a special reason for this?
- HA! It was completely unconscious. I don’t even know if I could tell you what color eyes all my characters have without looking it up. Though I know Gabriel from Chameleon doesn’t have blue eyes either. Blue eyes are definitely my favorite, so maybe that’s why?
I totally forgot about Gabriel. I don’t like him. Team Russ all the way. Haha!
I know that we should expect sequels for the Jamie Baker series and the Supernaturals series, but do you have other books that you plan on writing or maybe currently working on? (hopefully another contemporary romance, says the fangirl)
- Well, right now those two series are my priority, but I will always have a contemporary romance in the works somewhere as well. I just finished a rough draft of a contemporary re-telling of Cinderella, but it didn’t turn out how I expected and needs a lot of work, so I don’t know if it will ever be published. If I can work out the kinks, maybe, but we’ll have to see… I also just worked on a new contemporary romance for NaNoWriMo this year. I should have more details about that after it’s done. ☺
Ooo~ I’ll definitely look forward to those! ❤
What are some of your writing habits?
- Right now I split the workday with my husband, so I’m Mommy in the mornings and Writer in the afternoons. I like to leave the house to get my writing done so that I can completely turn off Mommy Mode. The ladies at the library all know me really well. I also can’t seem to write without my staple diet of Diet Dr. Pepper and popcorn. (Healthy, I know…)
What is your favorite word and why?
- I don’t know that I have a favorite word, but I do say “stupid” and “freaking” a lot. (And my three-year-old yells at me every time. “Mommy! Don’t say stupid!”)
What are your favorite books of all time?
- Oh goodness! So many! If I had to narrow it down though I’d say it’s between The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Graceling by Kristen Cashore, and Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson.
What is your favorite quote? (Please include author and book)
- Hmm. I think I have two…
- “Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” ― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Obsidian
- “The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.” ― James Branch Cabell, The Silver Stallion
Do you have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? Or what do you usually do during this time?
- Have you ever seen the movie Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase? That is what the holidays are like for me. I have a huge family. It’s loud and chaotic and I love every minute of it!
What place would you love to visit the most this holiday season?
- Anywhere with snow. I haven’t had a white Christmas since I moved away from Michigan in 1999.
What do you love most about Christmas?
- I love the spirit that comes with it. People are often in a more loving & giving mood this time of year. I love to see people remembering the birth of our Savior and being charitable toward others.
What’s on your Christmas Wishlist this year?
- If I could have anything? A cruise with my husband (and without my kids) would be amazing. Or I’d love a new wedding ring. Mine broke a few months ago and I was pretty sad. (Hint, hint honey!)
What makes you put on the holiday weight?
- HA! I’ve had 4 kids and am in my thirties. EVERYTHING makes me put on weight. But I can’t say no to pumpkin anything, egg nog, and cheesecake, so the holidays are especially bad.
Lol. That’s definitely an awesome duty.
I just love your humor in your books so I hope this won’t be so hard. Can you tell us a joke?
- Unfortunately the humor in my books is more “witty banter” and less “joke telling” so yes, this is hard! LOL! I usually love really lame jokes. I’m a big fan of Laffy Taffy and Chuck Norris jokes. However, since we’ve talked about my red hair and my redheaded temper, how about a couple of redhead jokes? (I have no idea where these originally came from and did not make them up myself, but I did enjoy them…)
- How do you get a redhead’s mood to change? Wait 10 seconds.
What do you call a redhead with an attitude? Normal.
What is the difference between a redhead and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.
How do you get a redhead to argue with you? Say something…
What do you call a woman who knows where her husband is every night? A redhead.
Any last words?
- Wow, that sounds really ominous! Um, how about, “Thank you for having me here today!” and, “Look for Ungifted (Supernaturals #2) this Feb/March!”
Hahaha! And thank you so much for joining us. I really enjoyed this one and I hope the readers did too. Now let’s go to the GIVEAWAY~
Kelly Oram is giving away her ebook Contemporary Collection: Serial Hottie, V Is for Virgin, and The Avery Shaw Experiment. This giveaway is open INTERNATIONALLY to EVERYONE, even non-participants of the read-a-thon!
For today’s participation post, we’d like to simply know how you’re doing~ You can tell us anything.
Well, yesterday, I read and finished What the Heart Wants by Staci Hart, which is a novella so it’s REALLY short. I wanted more, but it is a novella so yeah. It was pretty sweet though, although it moved so fast. I also finished North Pole Reform School by Jaimie Admans, which was pretty interesting and funny.
I didn’t really get to read much because my mind went places. I got invited to this Christmas Party and I couldn’t stop thinking about what to do and stuff. It led me to having my new calling cards and stickers, which are so pretty and were designed by my brother, who is best known as Hatboy. (Check out the Tumblr link, if you’d like) I’ll probably post pictures on Instagram. 😛 And it will also mean another change in my blog design. Haha! But things are getting together quite fine, I think.
What about you? Leave us a link~ It will be counted in the drawing of the Grand Prize.
Welcome to Day 6~ The name of today’s challenge is Dreamy Characters. In this challenge you will all share the characters from books that you really love. It could be a character that you’re madly in love with (i.e. book boyfriend), or characters that you find funny or someone you want to be. Including pictures would be great too!
I fall in love too easily so I love a LOT of guys, but I tried my best to narrow them down. Haha!
- Etienne St. Claire (Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins)
- Morpheus (Splintered by A.G. Howard)
- Garrick Taylor (Losing It by Cora Carmack)
- Keith Dobson (13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson)
- Grayson Kennedy (The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram)
- Weston Michels (Ruin by Rachel van Dyken)
- Xavier Solomon (Romancing the Bookworm by Kate Evangelista)
- Daniel Wesley (Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover)
- Alex Sheathes (Delirium by Lauren Oliver)
- West Ryder (Click to Subscribe by L.M. Augustine)
- Milo Grayson (American Girl on Saturn by Nikki Godwin)
And I’d like to be the girl next to any one of them. Haha!
As always, participating in at least one challenge will qualify you to join the Grand Prize giveaway at the end of the read-a-thon, and each challenge has one random winner so make sure to join. Link up on the Challenge linky below, each challenge linky will be open for two days to give everyone a chance to participate in the read-a-thon. Tweet your read-a-thon posts/progress using #DreamyDecDays.
Sponsored by: • L.M. Augustine, Erica Crouch, Tellulah Darling, Kate Evangelista, Nikki Godwin, Rachel Harris, Staci Hart, A.G. Howard, David Lomax, Angela McPherson, Lea Nolan, Kelly Oram, Lissa Price, Jennifer E. Smith, Laura Thalassa